Here in NH for the past the past decade the NH Medicare Supplement (or Medigap) Plan F has been the go-to plan for seniors looking for deluxe Medicare insurance coverage.
However starting last year we have seen a shift with the NH Medicare Supplement Plan G emerging as a great value for the following 7 reasons:
- Medicare Supplement Plans allow you to use ANY doctor who accepts Medicare. This means that you have broad access to care locally- AND- throughout the US (...think snowbirds!)
- Medigap Plan G is SIMILAR to the Plan F- I like to say that the Supplement Plan G is Plan F's nice looking younger sister. The Plan G covers hospital, nursing home, and MANY things the SAME EXACT WAY that the Plan F does. What is the difference..? The Plan G does NOT cover the Part B deductible of $185.
- Plan G Supplement offers SIGNIFICANT Monthly Premium Savings- Today in NH the Plan G Supplement has premiums that are SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER than the Plan F. In 2019 Anthem's Blue Cross Blue Shield of NH Plan F for a Male Age 65 is $193.09 a month- the NH Plan G Medigap with Anthem is only $149.64 - that's a savings of $43.45/month or $521.40 annually.
- Plan G Still Covers Excess Charges- Like the Plan F the Plan G DOES COVER EXCESS CHARGES!Now excess charges are not frequent- and also often not significant but conservative shoppers enjoy that extra protection.
- Plan F is Going Away in 2020 - The CMS has announced that in 2020 the Plan F will no longer be offered to new enrollees (see article). People who ALREADY HAVE PLAN F can keep it after 2020 - but what historically happens when a plan is no longer offered is the cost for that discontinued plan tends to increase. (The Medicare Supplement Plan J is an excellent example of this.) So if Plan G is going to be available in the future it is likely that the rates may be more stable.
- Set it and Forget It- As a NH Medicare insurance agent who has specialized in Medicare plans for over a decade I see seniors that are now in their 70's that still have the same Medicare Supplement plan they bought years ago. So for seniors looking for a long term solution- or plan that will fit for years to come- the Plan G supplement is an excellent idea.
- Foreign Travel Benefit- When you buy the Plan G NH supplement you receive up to $50,000 in foreign travel benefit.
If you would like to learn more about the different NH Medicare Supplemental Plans that are available please give us a call at 603-882-2909.
See NH Medicare Supplement Plan G additional information & resources:
NH Medigap Plan G Benefit Summary
NH Plan G - who has the best Rates for 2019?
NH Medicare Supplement Quote
NH Medicare Blog 2019
Atlantic Insurance in Nashua helps seniors with ALL their insurance needs including special programs for home, car, umbrella, life insurance and of course Medicare Insurance plans.