Here in NH for the past several years the NH Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) Plan F has been the go-to plan for seniors looking for deluxe coverage. However in 2018 I have seen NH Medicare Supplement Plan G emerge as a great value for the following 5 reasons:
- Medigap Plan G is SIMILAR to Plan F- I like to say that the Plan G is the Plan F's nice looking younger sister. The Plan G covers hospital, nursing home, and MANY things the SAME EXACT WAY that the Plan F does. What is the difference..? The Plan G does NOT cover the Part B deductible of $183.
- Plan G Supplement offers SIGNIFICANT Monthly Premium Savings- Today in NH the Plan G Supplement has premiums that are SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER than the Plan F. In 2018 Anthem's Blue Cross Blue Shield of NH Plan F for a Male Age 65 is $193.09 a month- the NH Plan G Medigap with Anthem is only $149.64 - that's a savings of $43.45/month or $521.40 annually.
- Plan G Still Covers Excess Charges- Like the Plan F the Plan G DOES COVER EXCESS CHARGES! Now excess charges are not frequent- and also often not significant but conservative shoppers enjoy that extra protection.
- Plan F is Going Away in 2020 - It has been announced that in 2020 the Plan F will no longer be offered to new enrollees (see article). People who ALREADY HAVE PLAN F can keep it after 2020 - but what historically happens when a plan is no longer offered is the cost for that discontinued plan tends to increase. (The Medicare Supplement Plan J is an excellent example of this.) So if Plan G is going to be available in the future it is likely that the rates may be more stable.
- Set it and Forget It- As a NH Medicare insurance agent who has specialized in Medicare plans for over a decade I see seniors that are now in their 70's that still have the same Medicare Supplement plan they bought years ago. So seniors looking for a long term solution- or plan that will fit for years to come- the Plan G supplement is an excellent idea.
If you would like to learn more about the NH Medicare Supplemental Plans please give us a call at 603-882-2909.
Atlantic Insurance in Nashua helps seniors with ALL their insurance needs including special programs for home, car, umbrella, life insurance and of course Medicare Insurance plans.