Minuteman Health, a co-operative health insurance plan headquartered in MA has decided to no longer offer health insurance to individuals an employers here in New Hampshire. Citing depleting capital and a reduction in their surplus, Minuteman notified the NH insurance Dept. as well as the federal marketplace that they will stop writing coverage as of January 1, 2018. Current Minuteman Health clients will be notified by mail in the next 60 days.
In 2017, Minuteman Health enrolled over 27,000 members in the individual marketplace here in NH and also offered health insurance to a few dozen small employer groups.
It is important to note that the NH Insurance Dept has received an application from Minuteman Health's leadership to form a new health insurance company that MAY offer coverage to individuals and businesses in NH in 2018. So we may see a different version of Minuteman re-enter the NH Health Insurance Marketplace in 2018.
Should I worry about losing my NH Minuteman Health Insurance coverage?
No, not really. NH has consumer protective legislation that requires insurers to provide advanced notice when departing NH state's health insurance market. Also there are other NH health insurers that are obligated to accept applications from qualified applicants during open enrollment or special enrollment periods
For NH Minuteman Health members what to expect:
- To have coverage through the end of 2017
- Claims will be paid for covered services
- During Open Enrollment for 2018 NH Marketplace coverage there are other alternatives to consider- including Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Harvard Pilgrim Healthcare and Ambetter
- An alternative organization Minuteman Insurance Inc. MAY offer health insurance here in NH in 2018.
If you have questions please:
- Call Minuteman Health at 1-855-644-1776 or see their press release here
- Call NH Insurance Dept. Consumer Division at 1-800-852-3416. Also please see full press release here from the NH Insurance Dept.
- See Boston Globe article here
For more info about what health insurance options are available please call Steve Donohue NH Health Insurance broker, specializing in coverage for individuals, businesses and Medicare eligible.