For the past several years, here in NH the Supplement Plan G has been popular. In 2018 we saw a shift here at our agency, with the NH Medigap Plan G emerged as a great value and popular plan for NH Seniors for the following 7 reasons:
- Medicare Supplement Plans allow you to use ANY doctor who accepts Medicare. This means that you have broad access to care locally- AND- throughout the US (...think snowbirds!)
- Medigap Plan G is SIMILAR to the Plan F- I like to say that the Supplement Plan G is Plan F's nice looking younger sister. The Plan G covers hospital, nursing home, and MANY things the SAME EXACT WAY that the Plan F does. What is the difference..? The Plan G does NOT cover the Part B deductible of $226.
- Plan G Supplement offers SIGNIFICANT Monthly Premium Savings- Today in NH the Plan G Supplement has premiums that are SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER than the Plan F. In 2023 Anthem's Blue Cross Blue Shield of NH Plan F for a Male Age 65 is $233.22 a month and the NH Plan G Medigap with Anthem is only $162.48- that's a savings of $70.74/month or $848.88 annually. We find that with MOST NH Medicare insurers the savings far exceed the reasonable added expense of the $226 Part B Deductible.
- Plan G Still Covers Excess Charges- Like the Plan F the Plan G DOES COVER EXCESS CHARGES! Now excess charges are not frequent- and also often not significant but conservative shoppers enjoy that extra protection.
- Plan F has LIMITED ENROLLMENT since 2020 - After 1/1/2020 the Plan F will no longer be offered to new enrollees (see article). People who ALREADY HAVE PLAN F can keep it after 2020. Also people who were eligible for Medicare prior to 12/31/2019 may apply Plan F. What historically happens when a plan is no longer offered, or has limited enrollment the cost for that plan tends to increase. (The Medicare Supplement Plan J is an excellent example of this.) Since Plan G is going to be available in the future it is likely that the rates may be more stable.
- Set it and Forget It- As a NH Medicare insurance agent who has specialized in Medicare plans for over a decade I see seniors that are now in their 70's that still have the same Medicare Supplement plan they bought years ago. So for seniors looking for a long term solution- or plan that will fit for years to come- the Plan G supplement is an excellent idea.
- Foreign Travel Benefit- When you buy the Plan G NH supplement you receive up to $50,000 in foreign travel benefits.
Please don't take my word for it- see great article in FORBES.COM that describes why the Plan G is a better deal for most NH Seniors.
If you would like to learn more about the different NH Medicare Supplemental Plans that are available please give us a call at 603-882-2909.
See NH Medicare Supplement Plan G helpful information & resources:
NH Medigap Plan G 2023 Benefit Summary
NH Plan G - who has the best Rates for 2022?
NH Medicare Supplement Quote
NH Medicare Market Review 4 Years 2019-2022
See our Review of 2022 NH Medicare Supplement Insurers and Plans
Atlantic Insurance in Nashua helps seniors with ALL their insurance needs including special programs for home, car, umbrella, life insurance and of course Medicare Insurance plans.