Here in NH for the past the past decade the NH Medicare Supplement (or Medigap) Plan F has been the go-to plan for seniors looking for deluxe Medicare insurance coverage.
However starting in 2018 we have seen a shift here at our agency, with the NH Medicare Supplement Plan G emerging as a great value for NH Seniors for the following 7 reasons:
- Medicare Supplement Plans allow you to use ANY doctor who accepts Medicare. This means that you have broad access to care locally- AND- throughout the US (...think snowbirds!)
- Medigap Plan G is SIMILAR to the Plan F- I like to say that the Supplement Plan G is Plan F's nice looking younger sister. The Plan G covers hospital, nursing home, and MANY things the SAME EXACT WAY that the Plan F does. What is the difference..? The Plan G does NOT cover the Part B deductible of $198.
- Plan G Supplement offers SIGNIFICANT Monthly Premium Savings- Today in NH the Plan G Supplement has premiums that are SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER than the Plan F. In 2020 Anthem's Blue Cross Blue Shield of NH Plan F for a Male Age 65 is $212.21 a month and the NH Plan G Medigap with Anthem is only $155.48- that's a savings of $56.73/month or $680.76 annually. So with MOST NH Medicare insurers the savings far exceeds the added expense of the $198 Part B Deductible.
- Plan G Still Covers Excess Charges- Like the Plan F the Plan G DOES COVER EXCESS CHARGES! Now excess charges are not frequent- and also often not significant but conservative shoppers enjoy that extra protection.
- Plan F has LIMITED ENROLLMENT in 2020 - After 1/1/2020 the Plan F will no longer be offered to new enrollees (see article). People who ALREADY HAVE PLAN F can keep it after 2020. Also people who were eligible for Medicare prior to 12/31/2019 may apply Plan F. What historically happens when a plan is no longer offered, or has limited enrollment the cost for that plan tends to increase. (The Medicare Supplement Plan J is an excellent example of this.) So if Plan G is going to be available in the future it is likely that the rates may be more stable.
- Set it and Forget It- As a NH Medicare insurance agent who has specialized in Medicare plans for over a decade I see seniors that are now in their 70's that still have the same Medicare Supplement plan they bought years ago. So for seniors looking for a long term solution- or plan that will fit for years to come- the Plan G supplement is an excellent idea.
- Foreign Travel Benefit- When you buy the Plan G NH supplement you receive up to $50,000 in foreign travel benefits.
If you would like to learn more about the different NH Medicare Supplemental Plans that are available please give us a call at 603-882-2909.
See NH Medicare Supplement Plan G additional information & resources:
NH Medigap Plan G 2020 Benefit Summary
NH Plan G - who has the best Rates for 2020?
NH Medicare Supplement Quote
NH Medicare Blog
Atlantic Insurance in Nashua helps seniors with ALL their insurance needs including special programs for home, car, umbrella, life insurance and of course Medicare Insurance plans.